Saturday, October 17, 2009

Pacific International Quilt Festival

or PIQF to those who frequent these quilt shows! What a show!!! I am truly inspired by much that I saw there. There were quite a few quilts that really belonged in an Art Gallery rather than a quilt show...they were that fabulous. Quite a few quilts of friends. Congratulations!!! Maybe some day I'll remember to enter a quilt!

I was also impressed by the number of copy-quilts that I saw. Several years ago my sister's small quilt group, the Off Kilter Quilters, came up with a great quilt challenge. We each were given a piece of a panoramic photo of the Capitola Wharf (Capitola is a town here on the West Coast). We were also given a photo of the entire wharf for reference, but it was a small photo and each of our sections was to be 1 foot by 4 feet. And we couldn't collaborate on our panels.

The final result was ten panels, hung together, and a truly fabulous wall quilt. It has traveled to the Paducca Quilt show, the International Quilt show in Houston, hung in my quilt shop for many months, and has been published in American Quilt magazine.

What I saw at PIQF was at least three other groups doing the same type of thing. Kind of flattering...

The only thing that bothers me year after year with PIQF is it seems that there are fewer quilts and more vendors. I do understand about people wanting to make money from this captive audience, but I also know of groups of quilts that were turned away due to "lack of hanging space".

Beyond my gripes, this is a wonderful quilt show. If you get a chance to ever see it, I hope you take the time to view all of the creative quilters from around the world. And before I forget, a special Congratulations to my friend Meri Vahl, who was awarded the prestigious award of Best Quilt in the World competition!!!!!

No comments: