Thursday, February 25, 2010

The Double Wedding Ring

Oh why did I say I would do it? My son's long-time friend, our family friend's daughter, is getting married. I, of course, want her to have a quilt. And, on the way to her parent's house for a holiday party I thought it would be fun to create something with her mom, for her...and low and behold, there was the quilt top. Presented to me. In all it's glory.

Fine vintage fabric. Almost finished. I mean, how much would it take to finish it?

Well, after really looking at it, without the soothing comfort of delicious egg nog made by Gary (whose recipe should be illegal) I see it for what it really is. Someone's attempt at a double wedding ring. But something was just a little off.  It would not lie flat. The pieces did not fit well together. It was just a bit off. But that could be fixed. I was sure of it!

Several days later, after more research on Double Wedding Ring quilts, I have the solution. Take it apart and do it over. Yikes! But what was wrong was that the background fabric pieces were not cut properly and, therefore, the quilt would never lie flat. And we had wanted to take out the muslin and replace it with new fabric anyway. Right? Just to update it!

But now I have to trim the rings so that they fit properly. And cut all new background pieces. And sew it all back together. By hand, because that is how it was started...

What is wonderful is that it is working out. It does look good. It will work. And the whole time that I am working on it I am wondering what the first woman was doing who first pieced this quilt. What was she like? Who was she? Why did she start this quilt? Where did she get the fabric? Who taught her to quilt? What is the history of this piece?

The final quilt will go to a wonderful young lady and her new husband. I approved of him the first time I met him, and, I'll tell you, I don't approve of many young men so quickly. This will be part of their new life. The quilt will keep them warm and provide for them the beginning of their history. We'll let them know what we can find out about this quilt. I'm hoping that we will be able to establish who began this whole process.

This is what it is all about. Passing it on. Melding the past with the future. It is not all about Twitter or iPhones or texting or even blogging. It is about passing our hearts and information on to the next generation. Paying it forward. Keeping it going. Passing the love forward.

Now, I sure hope I can get this done in time...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Robin,

What a beautiful piece you are creating ... love your work and the story behind what you are doing. I miss your shop, Monterrey Coast ... however, I am enjoying my "real" studio located near the center of Portland's art district and settling into new adventures here in the scenic northwest.

Warmest regards,
Beth

Mary Johnson said...

That is a lot of work but I'm sure it will be lovely. I've got a wedding quilt to finish up in the next couple weeks too and I'm even traveling part of the time so I need to get to it and stop talking about it.

Helen in the UK said...

Wow - that's a lot of work you've taken on. Wishing you lots of luck and good stitching :)