Monday, April 12, 2010

And Life Goes On and On

It has been quite a while since I last posted. I'm still working on the Double Wedding Ring quilt. I will love it when it is done. It is just so NOT ME but I am enjoying each and every hand placed stitch. I've contacted my friend Mike, the golfing, surfing quilter who is FABULOUS and hope that he will be quilting it for me. Now to just get it done...

The rest of life has kept me busy. I'm still moving my studio. I've packed all my son's belongings and moved them into the guest room but there are still a few hangers-on of mine in there that need to be moved. It was really hard for me to pack a lot of his things. But no where as hard as it was for him to go through them when he visited us a few weeks ago. I can still remember packing up my room at my parents house. I thought I'd taken it all, but when I moved them almost 50 years later to another home, there were things of mine still there.

I love my son and there will always be a place for him here, but I really don't want his stuff here. He had a long trip down memory lane just going through a few boxes. I know we will both get through this.

I've been taking care of my parents since the end of last month. My sister and her husband are on a month-long trip and my brother doesn't seem to have the time to do it. It is so hard to be with them, to watch them in this state of elderliness, to work with them to make it through each day. My dad's Parkinson's caused two falls in the same day a couple of weeks ago. This resulted in a 911 call, a trip to the ER, and somehow, no broken bones. His tailbone is still hurting him, but I know eventually that will heal. The hard part is convincing my mom that his Parkinson's is not his fault. She seems to believe he can do something about it...

How do we get so old? How do we fall behind and out of circulation? They are both so lonely but I can't be the only source of entertainment, mostly because I'm not so entertaining! How do we get through this...

Pack the boxes. Sort the stuff. Let go of the things that we aren't using. But that doesn't mean let go of the people when they are no longer useful...

No comments: