Friday, May 7, 2010

May and Mother's Day

Mother's Day approaches. Another Hallmark Holiday. We are bombarded with ads and have-tos and guilt-itis. As I start this post I am reminded that Mother's Day has been around for a very long time. Even before Hallmark. Guess I should keep quiet on that one.

Mothers. The other night I met with my group of lady friends for dinner and celebrating. The dinner was originally planned to celebrate Mother's Day, however, it was then changed into a surprise birthday celebration for the organizer. It worked. Dana did not have a clue that we were celebrating her 50th birthday. What got me was a statement by one of my friends that she expected to be celebrated on Mother's Day. Her comment was that she didn't ask to be born but that she had "worked" to be a mother.

I'd never thought of it that way. I've always just felt blessed to be a mother. I too have worked hard at it, done things that were very hard for me, held and pushed my kids in ways that I wish my mom had done for me. Having kids has been the hardest job that I've ever had. But I've NEVER expected to be rewarded for it. It was just the right thing to do.

To me Mother's Day is stressful. I have to be with my mother and the other mothers in my family. I could opt out, I guess, but that isn't the right thing to do. I enjoy being with my husband and kids on Mother's Day, just like I enjoy being with them every other day. And if I get my strawberry chocolate eclair from The Farm, well, I am then just in heaven. But I really do not expect a celebration.

Guess I'm just weird that way. I just want to be treated well, all the time, not just on a day. I love to be honored, but not on a specific day but for something that I've done or helped with.

However, this is of course just my opinion.

May your Mother's Day be filled with Joy, Love and above all Peace.

Youth fades; love droops; the leaves of friendship fall; A mother's secret hope outlives them all. ~Oliver Wendell Holmes

No comments: