Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Turkey Day 2009

Giving Thanks. 


For all that has happened, good and bad, for without one, you will never know the other. 


On this Thanksgiving I do give thanks: I thank my wonderful family for putting up with me; I thank my friends for still being friends; I thank our government for not making it as bad as it has been and for offering us some hope; I thank my fortune for being able to live this life I have now; I thank all of those who have supported me through the years; and I thank those greater than myself to see that I am here to be thankful.


I hope that you will be spending quality time with your loved ones over this fall holiday. And for those who need to be out there, at the crack of dawn, on Friday, I wish for you that you get those things that you needed to get up before the crack of dawn to get.


Many, many years ago, before it became the norm to open at 4 am or 5 am or 6 am I did participate in the dawn rush. A couple of stores would open up early: Target and Macy's and a couple of others. But this was a 7 or 8 am opening. And not many people attended. It was fun. We'd get a little snack pack at one store and eat the goodies while we shopped. I've never experienced the crowds and rush that I've read about in the newspapers. I think if I saw that many people waiting to get in a store, I'd wait until they were in the store before I even left my car. I'm not a big fan of crowds. But back then it was fun for me. And a way to get away from the kids and do their Christmas shopping.


But the kids are now young adults. We all have more than we know what to do with. We have found that being together is really the best gift. My daughter is anxiously waiting for our first round of Monopoly and the Mario Cart races this Thanksgiving. We are waiting for our son to get home so we can start playing. A bit old fashioned, but really fun. We've been know to arrive late on Christmas Day because we were too involved in the Monopoly game. We'll try better this year.


And what makes it even better is that the game board with play with is the one I used as a kid on Thanksgiving and Christmas, playing with my sister, brother, and aunt. Those were some interesting times.


So, as the sometimes craziness of the Holidays drops upon us, remember that it is the little things that will be remembered. Being with loved ones. Sharing of yourself. Helping in the kitchen. Walking in the woods, or in our case, on the beach. Be there. For them. For you. It won't always be there for you to enjoy.


Peace.

No comments: