Sunday, December 6, 2009

AARP....What the@?!K!

I did it. Last week. Fully aware of what I was doing. And being proud of it. What, you ask, did I do? I JOINED AARP! Good God. I can't believe I did it. I've always ignored their requests stating " I will never be old enough to join!!!" Into to trash went all the mailers. Who cares about some organization for old people. I'll never be THAT old.


No, I didn't succumb to my adding years each and every year. What happened is that AARP makes so much sense. They are organized. They fight for rights that could be taken away. And, most importantly to me right now, they support Universal Health Care. That's what did it for me!!!


What kind of a country are we? We have most of the wealth, well, at least we use to be wealthy. We are forward thinking. We say we are inclusive, and many of us are. We stand up for the rights of others. We work to help the down-trodden throughout the world. But offer the option of affordable health care to each citizen. Never. Not here. Not yet.


We must have some type of universal coverage which is affordable and available to all of us. I have spent too much time trying to get health care in the past. And it was never affordable health care. It was extremely expensive. And didn't cover much. All because my husband and I are self-employed. We work for ourselves, not some big corporation. We believe in the individual being able to provide an independent livelihood. And maybe, just maybe, it is better for us to be our own bosses rather than working for someone else. 


We have coverage right now, but only because my husband is a college professor. When that ends, then what? 

No comments: